1.09.2010

Rocks!

Rocks --- for some reason Frankie always liked to give me rocks. He would randomly pick one up and sneakily put it in my hand. I kept a few of the rocks and have them in my keepsake box. One of them is pure white and smooth. He picked it up for me during our honeymoon. I wish I would have kept every single rock he ever handed me. I wish I could remember all the rocks and the moments that I feel are slipping away, like they are in some distant and beautiful dream that used to be my life. I wish I had him here to pick up a ridiculously big rock and expect me to keep it --- because I would baby. I would keep all of the rocks in the world just to see your smile when you handed them to me. I love that smile. He would pretend to be sad when I would say --- no baby, this rock likes it right here. It has all of its rock friends --- and I would point out all the other rocks. And then he would go find me a leaf, or a twig, or something else.

Besides my few precious rocks, I also kept a pet branch that we named Maxileafimus (after watching Gladiator). :) The leaf was stuck on the outside of Frankie’s car for like 6 months. It was barely attached, but somehow it would not come loose, and we hoped it wouldn't fall. We didn’t want to take it off --- the little fella just kept hanging on. It started coming loose one day, so we rescued our little Maxileafimus and I kept him to remember how much we cheered him on. The leaf has since well withered, but the branch remains ---
There is great metaphor to that story, but I am pretty tired! :)

So, I will leave this off with why I started thinking about these great moments ---
Frankie wrote this for me and I love it!

TODAY
I SEE TODAY THERE IS NO SUN
I SEE TODAY IT’S JUST DARK AND GREY
SO I CLOSE MY EYES AND LEAVE TODAY
I SEE US TOGETHER AND SMILE. YOU JUST BRIGHTEN MY DAY.
-Frankie Toner IV-

I miss you my love --- I will keep my eyes open for good rocks. I love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This made my day. I know we have those little things that made up the big things, yet like you stated, they sometimes seem to fleet. Reading you and Frankie's stories, bring ours back to life.

Frankie will continue to give you rocks, keep an open eye :)

And I can't wait to meet the infamous Maxileafimus (get it right?)

Thank again, brooke, for sharing.